Monday, September 26, 2011

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

Hello people,

  To Kill a MockingbirdTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Recommended for: Any one with parents or siblings or children or friends or enemies ;)

I had no idea what the theme or the publicity[except for a few reviews of 'very good' from various places] of this book was before I chose to read this one. I prefer to read that way as I will be free of prejudice.

To Kill a Mocking bird is a story of a simple family, with 2 siblings Jem and his younger sister Scout along with their father Atticus. I started to like the novel from the start as I could identify myself as I too grew up with a sister 3 and half years younger to me in a similar simple neighborhood with simple friends. The book addresses the racist mindset of the society prevalent at the time [1935] and through children tries to explain the naivety of our life.

You will find everything that a brother and sister of 10 and 6 years respectively, do and will be entertained mostly. But what it also successfully does is to promote a simple message of 'not hating anybody' and not taking any offence to heart and simply think from under the other mans skin.

To go into the story the siblings are leading a simple enough life with their vacation friend Dill when Tom Robinson, a negro and the real 'Mocking Bird' is accused of rape by a white, but notorious family. Scouts father Atticus takes up the hard job of acquitting Robinson of the crime. There are a few other characters like judge Taylor, Calpurnia, Miss Maudi, eccentric Boo Radley, Link Deas, etc who take this novel forward with their kindness while, some others like Bob Ewell and others who are of the opposite kind.

Author has succeeded in passing the cliched but eternal message of naivety of life and not hating others. I think its a must read.

View all my reviews

 Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...